Toho Unveils Godzilla-Sized Licensing Program on Godzilla Day
Nov. 03, 2021
New licensing collaborations across categories include Jazwares, Mattel, Nissin, PUMA and RYSE Supplements.
Toho International has announced new licensing collaborations at the company’s first-ever Godzilla Licensing Summit in Los Angeles, Calif., in celebration of Godzilla’s 67th birthday.
With the new lineup, Godzilla joins a diverse range of licensing categories, including publishing, toys and collectibles, food, apparel and more.
The following Godzilla collaborations were announced at the Godzilla Licensing Summit:
- Epic Games is bringing Godzilla back to the store in “Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout” through two costumes: “Godzilla” plus “Godzilla 1995”;
- With Kellytoy, a division of Jazwares, Godzilla will turn into a new line of Godzilla Squishmallows. Based on the plush brand, the new Godzilla line is set to launch in 2022;
- Mattel is bringing the King of the Monsters into the world of vehicle collectibles with a Hot Wheels Godzilla Character Car, hitting shelves at retail October 2022. In the U.S., the kaiju car will be sold as a Target exclusive for the year;
- Nissin Foods is mashing up its Cup Noodles brand with Godzilla for a tasty apparel line, launching in 2022. The collaboration will also expand into additional merchandise, so keep an eye on the Cup Noodles Instagram page @OriginalCupNoodles for more details;
- Godzilla is getting the sneaker treatment from PUMA based on the company’s legendary SUEDE shoe. It will be released worldwide exclusively in ATMOS’ physical stores and ecommerce store and will come as a set with a Godzilla sofubi figure. The unisex sneakers will be available in adult sizes, releasing fall 2022; and
- Dropping on Black Friday, RYSE Supplements will release Godzilla-branded, berry-citrus flavored pre-workout powders.
The following Godzilla-themed products and activities are currently available:
- Apparel at the Official Godzilla Shop by Amazon
- Cavity Colors – 50th Anniversary Hedorah Shirt
- Dim Mak x Godzilla Collaboration
- Go Big! Mobile Game – Godzilla Limited Time In-Game Event
- Jade City Foods x Godzilla Foods Coffee
- Jade City Foods x Godzilla Foods Hot Sauces
- Kinokuniya x Godzilla Line
- Mondo x Godzilla Collection
- Penguin Random House – “Godzilla Mad Libs”
- Pintrill x Godzilla Pin Collection
- PUCK HCKY x Godzilla Hockey Jersey
- Godzilla Stern Pinball Machines
- Super7 x Godzilla Collection
“The past year has already been monumental for the brand, having released a blockbuster film and successful anime series, and we are pleased to keep the momentum going for Godzilla Day 2021,” says Lora Cohn, managing director, Toho International. “Toho is thrilled to work with such world-class licensees to offer fans even more ways to celebrate the King of the Monsters, and what better way to announce these collaborations than at our very first Godzilla Licensing Summit. Get excited for yet another amazing year for Godzilla!”
Hosted live and virtually by Toho at the Alamo Drafthouse theater in Los Angeles, the Godzilla Licensing Summit brought together more than 100 licensees to learn about the current and upcoming projects around the iconic Godzilla brand and its rapid growth in the North American region and beyond. After the presentation, guests were welcomed to a cocktail reception, followed by a worldwide press screening of the 4K remastering of the 1954 “Godzilla” film.
Alamo Drafthouse locations from coast-to-coast exclusively premiered the long-anticipated 4K restoration of “Godzilla” on Nov. 3. The newly-restored film has not yet screened in Japan or the U.S.
From Nov. 5-11, the Godzilla birthday festivities continue at select Alamo Drafthouse locations with a 50th anniversary screening of “Godzilla vs. Hedorah,” as well as 2016’s critically-acclaimed “Shin Godzilla.” Then, beginning the week of Nov. 12, select Alamo Drafthouse locations will present a double feature – two classics of the Heisei era never before seen in American cinemas: 1984’s “The Return of Godzilla” and 1989’s “Godzilla vs. Biollante.” Tickets for all films can be purchased now at www.drafthouse.com and participating Alamo Drafthouse theaters.
Fans can also head to the Godzilla YouTube Channel now to watch the “Godzilla” 1978 series and “Godziban” series with all-new content dropping soon.
For regular brand updates, stay tuned on the official Godzilla website https://godzilla.com/, Instagram @godzilla_toho, Twitter @toho_godzilla and YouTube Channel GodzillaToho. #GodzillaDay.